• Computer & PC Games
• Console Games
• Arcade Games
• Pinball Machines
• Handheld Games
• Traditional Games
• PlayStation 2
• Game Boy Advance
• Nintendo 64
and more platforms...
You are a game expert?
You are interested in
sharing your knowledge?
Submit your data here:
• Top contributors
Units produced: Taito Corporation
Controls/Input Device: Control(joy8way), Buttons(2)
Number of Players: 2
Acting Talent involved:
More Machine Details:
More System Details:
Game Awards Nominations:
Game Awards Won:
Rastan Saga (Japan) VGMuseum Game Endings
Rastan Saga (Japan) on CAESAR
Rastan Saga (Japan) high score and replay at MARP
Rastan Saga (Japan) on datObase
MAME folder name: rastsaga
Display: raster 320x240 @ 60.00Hz (60.00 pixclock)
Sound: 1 channels
Emulated in MAME via driver rastan.c:
Status: good; Emulation: good
Graphic: good; Sound: good; Color: good
Palette size: 8192; Savestate: unsupported
b04-01.40 with 131072kb
b04-02.67 with 131072kb
b04-03.39 with 131072kb
b04-04.66 with 131072kb
b04-05.15 with 131072kb
b04-06.28 with 131072kb
b04-07.14 with 131072kb
b04-08.27 with 131072kb
b04-19.49 with 65536kb
b04-20.76 with 65536kb
b04-37.7 with 65536kb
b04-38.19 with 65536kb
b04-39.8 with 65536kb
b04-40.20 with 65536kb
b04-42.21 with 65536kb
b04-43.9 with 65536kb
- 0.147u2: hap fixed clone Omega Fighter Special. The game fails to boot or finish post. After showing bad rom errors, the game resets.
- 0.147u1: Fixed maincpu rom loading.
- 0.122u7: Fixed gfx1/2/3/4/5 rom loading.
- 0.89u3: Changed Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 5MHz.
- 0.37b10: Yochizo added 'Omega Fighter' (UPL 1989) and clone Omega Fighter Special.
- 21st November 2000: Yochizo fixed some graphics bugs in the Omega Fighter / Atomic Robo-kid driver.
- 8th November 2000: Yochizo sent in a driver for Omega Fighter and Atomic Robo-kid.
- 25th April 1999: Dumped Omega Fighter Special.
LEVELS: 8 (restarts once)
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Star Force):
Night Star (DECO Cassette)
Alpha Mission / ASO
Alpha Mission II / ASO II
Astro Warrior (Mega-Tech)
Truxton / Tatsujin
Tatsujin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh
GunHed (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
The Next Space
Super Star Soldier (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Strike Gunner S.T.G
Final Star Force
Viper Phase 1
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Romset: 2016 kb / 8 files / 457.8 zip
Credits Mameinfo and Mametesters Project Robert J. Rabgno et al.
Rastan Saga (c) 1987 Taito.
A platform hack 'n' slash game from Taito in which a single player guides a barbarian hero through a number of fantasy-themed levels, fighting through swathes of mythological fantasy creatures, including orcs, skeletal warriors and multi-headed hydra.
More powerful weapons can be picked up, as well as bonus items that can increase the barbarian hero's health and give increased protection against enemy attack. Players should be wary that some collectable items are cursed and will have a detrimental effect on the hero's health and performance. Unlimited continues are available throughout the game.
- TECHNICAL -
Prom Stickers : B04
Main CPU : Motorola 68000, Zilog Z80
Sound Chips : Yamaha YM2151, OKI MSM5205
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2
=> Slash, Jump
- TRIVIA -
Rastan Saga was released in March 1987 in Japan. It was known outside Japan as simply "Rastan".
Rastan was inspired by the 'Conan the Barbarian' saga novels, by Robert E Howard. In the background of the first stage, giant stone statues can be seen that bear more than a passing resemblance to the statues that featured in 'The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring'. While the film appeared several years AFTER Rastan, the famous LotR concept artwork that featured in the deluxe addition of the book had been available for some time.
The main character, Rastan, appears as a selectable character, 'Miracle Rastan', in "Champion Wrestler".
The game contains several bonus items that are not normally dropped by enemies: A golden armature, a brown scroll and a yellow scroll. Graphics for these can be seen in the tile-sets and modifications to game's data tables can cause them to be dropped. The golden armature acts like the existing armature, the scrolls do nothing.
The game contains a built in test mode, activated by the value of two bytes towards the end of the code roms. Invincibility can be selected, causing 'NO-HIT' to be displayed at the bottom of the title screen. The starting level can also be modified.
The game forbids the initials 'SEX' on the high-score table. If you try, they get changed to 'AHA'.
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Kyukyoku Tiger : G.S.M. Taito 2 - D28B0008) on November 21, 1988.
Zuntata Records released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Zuntata History L'ab-normal 1st - ZTTL-0038) on April 1, 1999.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* If you die on the final stage, the game ends and you cannot continue; this means that the entire final level must be completed on a SINGLE credit. In order to make this even remotely possible you should deliberately die at the end of the fifth stage while fighting the boss (a multi-headed dragon). You should then use another credit to continue and defeat the dragon with your first man (with as little damage as possible). If you cannot defeat him with the first man and little damage, kill off the remaining men and start with a fresh credit. Always go after the special weapons where possible; if special weapons run out, jumping and striking doubles the damage done with the sword. Pushing up and the jump button will jump higher than pushing the jump button alone.
* The game attract sequence does not reveal the purpose of the rod. If you are carrying it, killing an enemy of any type causes all other on-screen enemies of the same type to die.
* If you are going for a high-score, always 'pick-up' the poisons. They are worth a lot of points.
* The ring can always be obtained in the first level castle. Proceed past the 3 ropes, down the next long chain and then up the next long chain. Slowly nudge this chain offscreen and two enemies appear on the left-hand side, one of which always carries the ring.
* Chains in castles can often be traversed upwards much quicker by repeatedly jumping against a nearby wall. Others needing to be traversed downwards can be missed by jumping off and falling. The level 4 boss is virtually impossible to defeat unless this tactic is used, in order to meet him carrying the hammer.
* Repeated high vertical jumps are a good method to use to 'stall', when on slopes approaching bouncing fireballs.
* Many players don't know that the 'mud' first encountered on level 2 does not actually kill you, it just causes you to sink down requiring many quick jumps to get out.
- SERIES -
1. Rastan Saga (1987)
2. Rastan Saga II (1988)
3. Warrior Blade - Rastan Saga Episode III (1991)
- STAFF -
Game designer : Nenko Nishimura
Game programmers : Yoshinori Kobayashi, Hideaki Tomioka, Touru Takahashi, Hideo Kazama
Character designer : Nenko Nishimura
Art designers : Nenko Nishimura, Taira Sanuki, Seiji Kawakami, Genya Kuriki
Hardware engineer : Noboru Takeshita
Hardware designer : Masahiro Yamaguchi
Music composers And Sound Effects : Naoto Yagishita, Masahiko Takaki
Art advisor : Junji Yarita
Special thanks to : K. Sanbe
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sony PlayStation 2 [JP] (July 28, 2005) "Taito Memories Joukan [Model SLPM-66057]"
* Handhelds :
Sega Game Gear [JP] (August 9, 1991) "Rastan Saga [Model T-11037]"
Sony PSP [JP] (January 5, 2006) "Taito Memories Pocket [Model ULJM-05076]"
* Computers :
MSX2 [JP] (1988)
- CONTRIBUTE -
Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?&page=detail&id=2179&o=2
Licensed from Alexis Bousiges under a CC Attribution 3.0 License
00000000 10C101 00000003 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives
00000000 10C13A 00000030 FFFFFFFF Infinite Energy
00900000 10C040 00000040 00000040 Invincibility You die though when fall down into the water
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Starting Round/Sub-Round
20810000 05FFFD 000000FF FFFFFFFF Round 1
20810000 05FFFD 000000DF FFFFFFFF Round 1 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F7 FFFFFFFF Round 1 Boss
20810000 05FFFD 000000FE FFFFFFFF Round 2
20810000 05FFFD 000000DE FFFFFFFF Round 2 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F6 FFFFFFFF Round 2 Boss
20810000 05FFFD 000000FD FFFFFFFF Round 3
20810000 05FFFD 000000DD FFFFFFFF Round 3 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F5 FFFFFFFF Round 3 Boss
20810000 05FFFD 000000FC FFFFFFFF Round 4
20810000 05FFFD 000000DC FFFFFFFF Round 4 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F4 FFFFFFFF Round 4 Boss
20810000 05FFFD 000000FB FFFFFFFF Round 5
20810000 05FFFD 000000DB FFFFFFFF Round 5 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F3 FFFFFFFF Round 5 Boss
20810000 05FFFD 000000FA FFFFFFFF Round 6
20810000 05FFFD 000000DA FFFFFFFF Round 6 Castle
20810000 05FFFD 000000F2 FFFFFFFF Round 6 Boss
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Weapon
00010000 10D2FB 00000001 FFFFFFFF Sword
00010000 10D2FB 00000002 FFFFFFFF Big Axe
00010000 10D2FB 00000003 FFFFFFFF Ball & Chain
00010000 10D2FB 00000004 FFFFFFFF Fire Sword
00010000 10D2FB 00000005 FFFFFFFF No Weapons
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Armour
00010000 10D389 000000FF FFFFFFFF No Armour
00010000 10D389 00000000 FFFFFFFF Shield
00010000 10D389 00000001 FFFFFFFF Mantel
00010000 10D389 00000002 FFFFFFFF Armature
00010000 10D389 00000003 FFFFFFFF Golden Armature
00000000 10D3C9 000000FF FFFFFFFF Rapid Fire
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Ring Status Having the ring let's you fire faster
00010000 10D391 0000000F FFFFFFFF Have Ring
00018000 10D40F 00000001 FFFFFFFF Have Ring (2/2)
00010000 10D391 00000018 FFFFFFFF No Ring
00018000 10D40F 000000FF FFFFFFFF No Ring (2/2)
00000000 10D411 00000001 FFFFFFFF Always have the Rod
00000000 10D40D 00000001 FFFFFFFF Always have the Necklace
Credit Pugsy's MAME Cheat file