• Computer & PC Games
• Console Games
• Arcade Games
• Pinball Machines
• Handheld Games
• Traditional Games
• PlayStation 2
• Game Boy Advance
• Nintendo 64
and more platforms...
You are a game expert?
You are interested in
sharing your knowledge?
Submit your data here:
• Top contributors
Units produced: Sega
Controls/Input Device: Control(joy8way), Buttons(3)
Number of Players: 2
Acting Talent involved:
More Machine Details:
More System Details:
Shinobi (set 1) VGMuseum Game Endings
Shinobi (set 1) on CAESAR
Shinobi (set 1) high score and replay at MARP
Shinobi (set 1) on datObase
MAME folder name: shinobi
Display: raster 320x224 @ 60.00Hz (60.00 pixclock)
Sound: 1 channels
Emulated in MAME via driver segas16a.c:
Status: good; Emulation: good
Graphic: good; Sound: good; Color: good
Palette size: 6144; Savestate: unsupported
7751.bin with 1024kb
epr11264.95 with 65536kb
epr11265.94 with 65536kb
epr11266.93 with 65536kb
epr11267.12 with 32768kb
epr11268.1 with 32768kb
epr11290.10 with 65536kb
epr11291.17 with 65536kb
epr11292.23 with 65536kb
epr11293.29 with 65536kb
epr11294.11 with 65536kb
epr11295.18 with 65536kb
epr11296.24 with 65536kb
epr11297.30 with 65536kb
epr12008.26 with 65536kb
epr12009.25 with 65536kb
epr12010.43 with 65536kb
epr12011.42 with 65536kb
- 0.147u2: hap fixed clone Omega Fighter Special. The game fails to boot or finish post. After showing bad rom errors, the game resets.
- 0.147u1: Fixed maincpu rom loading.
- 0.122u7: Fixed gfx1/2/3/4/5 rom loading.
- 0.89u3: Changed Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 5MHz.
- 0.37b10: Yochizo added 'Omega Fighter' (UPL 1989) and clone Omega Fighter Special.
- 21st November 2000: Yochizo fixed some graphics bugs in the Omega Fighter / Atomic Robo-kid driver.
- 8th November 2000: Yochizo sent in a driver for Omega Fighter and Atomic Robo-kid.
- 25th April 1999: Dumped Omega Fighter Special.
LEVELS: 8 (restarts once)
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Star Force):
Night Star (DECO Cassette)
Alpha Mission / ASO
Alpha Mission II / ASO II
Astro Warrior (Mega-Tech)
Truxton / Tatsujin
Tatsujin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh
GunHed (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
The Next Space
Super Star Soldier (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Strike Gunner S.T.G
Final Star Force
Viper Phase 1
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Romset: 2016 kb / 8 files / 457.8 zip
Credits Mameinfo and Mametesters Project Robert J. Rabgno et al.
Shinobi (c) 1987 Sega Enterprises, Limited.
Shinobi is a scrolling platform beat-em-up in which the player takes on the role of Joe Musashi, a Shinobi Ninja, who must fight his way through 5 tough missions - each made up of between 3 to 5 stages - in his quest to rescue the kidnapped Ninja children of the Iga clan; now hostages of an evil Ninja syndicate called "Zeed". To complete a mission, the player must rescue all of the kidnapped children on each level, with the number of hostages remaining displayed on a meter in the bottom left corner of the screen.
The Shinobi Ninja begins each level armed with either 'shuriken' throwing stars or a gun for long-range attacks; and a Samurai sword for close-range combat. In addition, the Ninja also has one 'Magic Attack' per level; a smart bomb which kills or damages all on-screen enemies. A points bonus is awarded whenever a level is completed without the Magic Attack being used. An end-of-level guardian awaits the player at the end of each mission, and each takes several hits before it is killed. Once a boss is defeated, the player is taken to a bonus stage in which a large number of Ninjas will try to 'jump' from the back of the screen to the front to attack the player. A bonus life is awarded if the player manages to kill all of the Ninjas without being attacked.
Shinobi was a huge success for Sega, and deservedly so. Its perfectly realized blend of platform and fighting action and is as fine an exponent of the 'easy to get into, difficult to master' gameplay ethic as video games have seen.
- TECHNICAL -
Runs on the Sega "System 16B" hardware.
Game ID : 317-0049
Players : 2
Control : 8-Way Joystick
Buttons : 3
=> Attack, Jump, Magic
- TRIVIA -
Shinobi was released in November 1987 in Japan.
"Shinobi [Model 317-0050]" (16A)
"Shinobi [Model 317-0054]"
Shinobi was one of the many names given to the ninja in feudal Japan. Its literal translation is 'stealer-in'; a reference to what Ninjas specialized in above all else. By employing any number of tricks such as stealth walking and staying upwind of any guard animals, the Shinobi went undetected about his mission. On a more devious level, the Shinobi was also a master of disguise, and would often 'steal in' to village communities disguised as a local, or into enemy palaces disguised as a wandering priest.
Marilyn Monroe's face appears on several posters in the Mission 1 second stage.
A Shinobi cabinet can be seen in the Nickelodeon show All That (from 1997 to 2000). however it used a fictional marquee which was made for the show.
- SCORING -
Scoring in this game is very easy. Each enemy is worth 100 points with the exception of the Purple Guard and the Sword Throwing Guard which are worth 500 points. The bosses are 5,000 points apiece. NOTE : The Purple Guards and Sword Throwing Guards are the ones that guard the hostages.
In addition to getting points from killing enemies, you can also score points for time left on the clock after you complete a level. You get 30 points per second of remaining time.
You can also receive special bonuses at the end of each level for certain actions :
1) If you don't use your ninja magic, you get a 5,000 point bonus.
2) If you only use your Ninja-to sword (no Shurikens or gunfire), you get a 20,000 point bonus.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* Unless you are continuing, each game begins at 'Mission 1' and will have everything you need to complete each mission. Each level must be completed within 3 minutes, and all hostages must be rescued before you can exit the level. If you are killed, all hostages rescued prior to your death will still be recorded as rescued. In addition to melee attacks, you will also be able to use a specific Ninja Magic attack once per level. These magical attacks kill everything that is on the screen but you will be awarded a point bonus if you manage to complete a level WITHOUT using your Ninja Magic. The three Ninja Magic attacks are :
1) Multiple-Attack Magic : Allows you to gain lightning-fast speed to attack up to 12 times at once.
2) Tornado Magic : Brings about a magical tornado to blow your enemies away.
3) Lightning Magic : Causes the air to crackle with electricity and destroys your enemies.
* Some general gameplay guidelines :
1) Joe is strictly a one-hit, one-kill character, so you must avoid all enemy attacks or risk losing a life.
2) As you become more practiced at moving around, you won't have to rely on your distance weapons (throwing stars etc.) and can use your ninja sword for close-up kills; the advantage of this is that you can gain the 20,000 point bonus. This also applies to the use of Ninja Magic.
3) Many of the enemies in the later missions will swarm Joe and attack in numbers, it's vitally important to learn to attack-and-jump as quickly as possible otherwise you will be quickly overrun.
4) Your main goal is, of course, to rescue all the hostages to exit the level; and although three minute time limit initially seems quite generous, should you delay too long with the enemies, the time will quickly run out.
5) It's important to become good at the Challenge Levels, since this is the only way to gain extra lives. The Challenge levels will require you to take out around thirty ninjas who are trying to get to your position. There is no real hard and fast strategy other then take them down before they reach the second platform. Challenge Levels occur at the end of every mission.
6) Ninja Magic is a great thing. You must remember, though, that you can only use it once per level. This means you should only use it when you are totally surrounded by enemies and have no other means of escape.
7) All bosses take eight hits to defeat. Of course, you will have to hit them in the right place for that hit to register.
* Stop Gunners : In levels with Bazooka-toting enemies (Rounds 3-2), push one of them against a wall about ten times (always pushing on his direction, never stopping), you'll see then that all Bazooka men and Gun men are no longer able to use their weapons against you.
* Extra lives from hostages : In game are special hostage, you can get 1UP instead points from them. These hostages are : 2nd hostage on stage 2-2, 1st hostage on 2-3, 2nd hostage on 3-1, 5th hostage on 3-2. What you must do to get 1UP instead points? When you get hostage you must have 3 identical digits at end of your score (don't count last digit which is always 0). Example : 70,000, 100,000, 109,990, 68,880, 141110. 1UP icon will appear instead points icon over hostage.
- SERIES -
1. Shinobi [Model 317-0049] (1987, Arcade)
2. Shadow Dancer - Kage no Mai (1989, Arcade)
3. The Revenge of Shinobi (1989, Mega Drive)
4. The Cyber Shinobi - Shinobi Part 2 (1990, Master System)
5. The GG Shinobi [Model G-3302] (1991, Game Gear)
6. The GG Shinobi II [Model G-3315] (1992, Game Gear)
7. Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master (1993, Mega Drive)
8. Shinobi X (1995, Saturn)
9. Shinobi (2002, PS2)
10. Nightshade (2004, PS2)
11. Shinobi 3D (2011, 3DS)
- STAFF -
Designed by : Noriyoshi Ohba
Staff : Sugachan 26, Wagamama Kenchi, Topi, Gyofunori, Hanachan, Super Haggar, Fanta Jijii, Yamiagari, Shinjuku Otoko
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sega Master System [EU] (1988) "Shinobi [Model MK-7009-50]"
Sega Master System [US] (1988) "Shinobi [Model 7009]"
Sega Master System [JP] (June 19, 1988) "Shinobi [Model G-1353]"
NEC PC-Engine [JP] (December 8, 1989) "Shinobi [Model AS01001]"
Nintendo NES [US] (1989)
Sega Master System [BR] (1995) "Sapo Xule - O Mestre do Kung Fu [Model 023.500]"
Microsoft XBOX 360 [US] (February 10, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection [Model 68034]"
Sony PlayStation 3 [KO] (February 10, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" by SCEI
Sony PlayStation 3 [US] (February 10, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection [Model BLUS-30259]"
Microsoft XBOX 360 [EU] (February 20, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection [Model 384-40210]"
Sony PlayStation 3 [EU] [AU] (February 20, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection [Model BLES-00475]"
Microsoft XBOX 360 [AU] (February 26, 2009) as an unlockable extra in "Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection"
Microsoft XBOX 360 [XBLA] [US] [JP] (June 19, 2009)
Nintendo Wii [Virtual Console Arcade] [JP] (July 14, 2009)
Nintendo Wii [Virtual Console Arcade] [JP] (October 23, 2009)
Nintendo Wii [Virtual Console Arcade] [JP] (December 7, 2009)
* Computers :
Sinclair ZX Spectrum [EU] (1989)
Commodore C64 [US] [EU] (1989)
Atari ST [EU] (1989)
Commodore Amiga [EU] (1989)
Amstrad CPC [EU] (1989) [64 ko Cassette version]
Amstrad CPC [EU] (1989) [128 Ko Disk version]
MSX [EU] (1989)
Amstrad CPC [EU] (1990, Mastertronic)
Sinclair ZX Spectrum [EU] (1990)
PC [MS-DOS, 5.25"] [US] (1989)
* Others :
Tiger Handheld LCD Game [US] (1988)
- CONTRIBUTE -
Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?&page=detail&id=2416&o=2
Licensed from Alexis Bousiges under a CC Attribution 3.0 License
000000A2 FFD79B 00000059 FFFFFFFF Infinite Time
20800000 003FA2 00000060 FFFFFFFF Invincibility
00000000 FFD778 00000001 FFFFFFFF Infinite Ninja Magic
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Ninja Magic
00010000 FFD779 00000000 FFFFFFFF Type 1
00010000 FFD779 00000001 FFFFFFFF Type 2
00010000 FFD779 00000002 FFFFFFFF Type 3
00000000 FFD79E 00000001 FFFFFFFF Always have Power Up Gun
00000001 FFD79E 00000001 FFFFFFFF Get Power Up Gun Now!
00000001 FFC891 00000000 FFFFFFFF Kill Boss with 1 Hit Now! This cheat is partial - it only works for some bosses
62000000 000000 00000000 00000000 Select Jump Height
00010000 C7001D 000000F0 FFFFFFFF Low
00010000 C7001D 00000080 FFFFFFFF Normal
00010000 C7001D 00000030 FFFFFFFF High
00100000 C7002C 0000FFFF FFFFFFFF Enable Action During Jump Allows you to jump during jumps
00000000 FF1752 00000000 00000002 Rapid Fire Turn it OFF on name entry screen
60000000 000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 FFD750 00000006 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives PL1
00000000 FFD74F 00000006 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives PL2
Credit Pugsy's MAME Cheat file