• Computer & PC Games
• Console Games
• Arcade Games
• Pinball Machines
• Handheld Games
• Traditional Games
• PlayStation 2
• Game Boy Advance
• Nintendo 64
and more platforms...
You are a game expert?
You are interested in
sharing your knowledge?
Submit your data here:
• Top contributors
Units produced: Sega
Controls/Input Device: Control(joy8way), Buttons(2)
Number of Players: 2
Acting Talent involved:
More Machine Details:
More System Details:
Game Awards Nominations:
Game Awards Won:
Space Fury (revision C) VGMuseum Game Endings
Space Fury (revision C) on CAESAR
Space Fury (revision C) high score and replay at MARP
Space Fury (revision C) on datObase
MAME folder name: spacfury
Display: vector x @ 40.00Hz (40.00 pixclock)
Sound: 1 channels
Emulated in MAME via driver segag80v.c:
Status: good; Emulation: good
Graphic: good; Sound: good; Color: good
Palette size: 0; Savestate: unsupported
6331.speech-u30 with 32kb
808c.speech-u7 with 2048kb
960c.prom-u1 with 2048kb
961c.prom-u2 with 2048kb
962c.prom-u3 with 2048kb
963c.prom-u4 with 2048kb
964c.prom-u5 with 2048kb
965c.prom-u6 with 2048kb
966c.prom-u7 with 2048kb
967c.prom-u8 with 2048kb
968c.prom-u9 with 2048kb
969c.cpu-u25 with 2048kb
970c.speech-u6 with 4096kb
971c.speech-u5 with 4096kb
972c.speech-u4 with 4096kb
pr-82.cpu-u15 with 32kb
s-c.xyt-u39 with 1024kb
- 0.147u2: hap fixed clone Omega Fighter Special. The game fails to boot or finish post. After showing bad rom errors, the game resets.
- 0.147u1: Fixed maincpu rom loading.
- 0.122u7: Fixed gfx1/2/3/4/5 rom loading.
- 0.89u3: Changed Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 5MHz.
- 0.37b10: Yochizo added 'Omega Fighter' (UPL 1989) and clone Omega Fighter Special.
- 21st November 2000: Yochizo fixed some graphics bugs in the Omega Fighter / Atomic Robo-kid driver.
- 8th November 2000: Yochizo sent in a driver for Omega Fighter and Atomic Robo-kid.
- 25th April 1999: Dumped Omega Fighter Special.
LEVELS: 8 (restarts once)
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Star Force):
Night Star (DECO Cassette)
Alpha Mission / ASO
Alpha Mission II / ASO II
Astro Warrior (Mega-Tech)
Truxton / Tatsujin
Tatsujin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh
GunHed (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
The Next Space
Super Star Soldier (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Strike Gunner S.T.G
Final Star Force
Viper Phase 1
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Romset: 2016 kb / 8 files / 457.8 zip
Credits Mameinfo and Mametesters Project Robert J. Rabgno et al.
Space Fury (c) 1981 Sega.
This game is a rather simple alien blasting shoot-em-up. It uses almost industry standard vector controls, which are four buttons, Left Rotate, Right Rotate, Thrust, and Fire. You begin the game in the center of four strange looking shapes. These shapes are both level selects and upgrades. Run into one of them and it will add itself to your ship, and then you get to do the level associated with it. Each level is different mainly because you have wildly different shot patterns on each one. But all of them are the same when it comes to your objective. What you have to do is blast all the spaceship parts before they can form into dangerous enemy spaceships. Blast them all, and you get to select a new level and watch a little interlude where the alien taunts you with his evil computer voice.
PLAY INSTRUCTIONS :
1. Enemy ships will be formed by four craft coming together.
2. Only complete enemy ships can launch fireballs.
3. Partial enemy ships will try to ram the player ship.
4. Between rounds the player ship can dock for more firepower.
5. To dock destroy enemy fleet before reinforcements arrive.
- TECHNICAL -
Sega G80 vector system
Main CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 4 Mhz), I8035 (@ 208 Khz)
Sound Chips : Discrete circuitry, SP0250 (@ 3.12 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal
Video resolution : 224 x 256 pixels
Screen refresh : 40.00 Hz
Palette colors : 256
Players : 2
Buttons : 4 (LEFT, RIGHT, THRUST, FIRE)
- TRIVIA -
Space Fury was released in July 1981 and was the first color vector graphic games. The most notable thing about that hardware platform is that the monitors would often catch on fire. You could lower the chance of this game catching fire by installing a monitor cooling fan and removing the back door.
Space Fury shipped in the Sega 'convert-a-cab', which was an attractive, but hopelessly generic arcade cabinet with woodgrain sides, and no sideart. Lots of different games came in this cabinet, it wasn't just for Space Fury. The rest of the decorations on this game looked rather amateur. The alien head and logo displayed on the marquee could have easily come out of any 8th grade art class.
* Attract mode :
"Is there no warrior mightier than I?"
"Does anyone dare challenge my imperial fleet?"
* Gameplay :
"So, a creature for my amusement. Prepare for battle!"
"So, you defeated my scouts. Well, my cruisers will destroy you."
"You are starting to annoy me, creature. My destroyers will annihilate you."
"You survived! Warships! Dispose of this annoyance at once."
"Well done. Prepare to battle my entire fleet!"
A sample of the synthesized taunt, 'Prepare for battle!', was used by musical group The CrÃ¼xshadows in their song 'Winterborn'.
- SCORING -
Scoring in this game is kind of hard since the way points are calculated is based on how many segments an alien fighter has. It is also based on what level you are on in the game. After level four, the scores remain at the level four amounts.
Alien Segment : 10 points
Incomplete Alien : 40 points
Complete Alien : 20 points
Fireball : 30 points
Alien Segment : 20 points
Incomplete Alien : 80 points
Complete Alien : 40 points
Fireball : 60 points
Alien Segment : 30 points
Incomplete Alien : 150 points
Complete Alien : 80 points
Fireball : 100 points
Alien Segment : 40 points
Incomplete Alien : 300 points
Complete Alien : 150 points
Fireball : 200 points
In addition, you get a docking bonus when you connect to your shell. This bonus is whatever you had left out of 5,000 points when you started the level.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* When you start the game, your fighter will be in the middle of the screen. Alien segments will start from the sides and head toward each other to form up. If you have ever played "Asteroids", this game works in a similar manner with the way the thrust works. If you haven't, learn how to tap versus hold down your thrust. This will give you better control over your fighter.
* You will have a maximum of 50 seconds to complete a level. Your goal, though, is to complete it in less time. The faster you take out the aliens, the higher your bonus will be when you get to the docking bonus area.
* Learn the characteristics of the alien spaceships :
a) Only complete alien spaceships can shoot fireballs. These fireballs do not track your fighter so you can either destroy them or move out of their way.
b) Incomplete alien spaceships will attempt to ram your fighter. They do track so you must destroy them before they destroy you.
* All things can 'wrap-around' the screen. This means anything exiting the screen from one of the edges will reappear at the opposite edge. Keep this in mind when you are being pursued and/or fired upon. This also holds true when you are firing.
* After level four, the aliens will be a mix of the four levels you already went through. The action will be faster paced and you won't be able to sit still or you make yourself an easy target.
* After you complete a level (until level four), you will be given the chance to dock your fighter with a shell. This shell is an upgrade to your weapons system. You will have anywhere from 3 to 11 seconds to successfully dock :
1) Docking is real easy, just turn and thrust at the right and left shells or thrust into the top shell.
2) The shells capabilities are (from left to right) :
a) The left shell is dark blue. It fires two shots in addition to the one shot the regular fighter fires.
b) The top shell is green. It fires one shot from each side of your fighter.
c) The right shell is light blue. It fires two shots behind your fighter (in addition to your one shot in front).
3) After you successfully dock, you collect the remaining bonus.
* To avoid the headache of too many things trying to get you, try to shoot the alien segments before they form up. This will prevent them from becoming complete and launching fireballs at you.
* The incomplete alien spaceships are the most dangerous since they track your fighter.
* The best shell to have is the dark blue one since it will be easier to take out targets in front of you then behind you. To make sure you end up with the dark blue shell, pick out the other two on the first two levels.
* In the early levels, try to go for the bonus since the alien spaceships aren't worth many points. When the pace picks up in the later levels, you will accumulate more points for the aliens. Plus, you probably will never see the bonus because all of your time will be spent defending against the alien attacks.
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Colecovision [AU] (1983)
Colecovision [US] (1983) "Space Fury [Model 2415]"
* Handhelds :
Sony PSP [US] (November 16, 2006) as an unlockable extra in "Sega Genesis Collection [Model ULUS-10192]"
Sony PSP [EU] (February 2, 2007) as an unlockable extra in "Sega Mega Drive Collection [Model ULES-00556]"
Sony PSP [AU] (February 8, 2007) as an unlockable extra in "Sega Mega Drive Collection [Model ULES-00556]"
- CONTRIBUTE -
Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?&page=detail&id=2533&o=2
Licensed from Alexis Bousiges under a CC Attribution 3.0 License
20800000 242A 00000000 FFFFFFFF Invincibility Disable temporarily (F6 normally) if anything locks you from moving or use the Hyperspace cheat
001000A0 CD3E 00000909 FFFFFFFF Infinite Energy
62000001 0000 00000000 00000000 Hyperspace Position Assign this to an activation key for the best effect.
00310001 E0A1 02850218 FFFFFFFF Bottom Left
00310001 E0A1 02850400 FFFFFFFF Bottom Middle
00310001 E0A1 028505C8 FFFFFFFF Bottom Right
00310001 E0A1 04000218 FFFFFFFF Middle Left
00310001 E0A1 04000400 FFFFFFFF Dead Centre
00310001 E0A1 040005C8 FFFFFFFF Middle Right
00310001 E0A1 057D0218 FFFFFFFF Top Left
00310001 E0A1 057D0400 FFFFFFFF Top Middle
00310001 E0A1 057D05C8 FFFFFFFF Top Right
60000000 0000 00000000 00000000
00000000 CD1C 00000005 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives PL1
00000000 CD1D 00000005 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives PL2
Credit Pugsy's MAME Cheat file