• Computer & PC Games
• Console Games
• Arcade Games
• Pinball Machines
• Handheld Games
• Traditional Games
• PlayStation 2
• Game Boy Advance
• Nintendo 64
and more platforms...
You are a game expert?
You are interested in
sharing your knowledge?
Submit your data here:
• Top contributors
Units produced: Sega
Controls/Input Device: Control(stick), Buttons(3)
Number of Players: 1
Acting Talent involved:
More Machine Details:
More System Details:
Thunder Blade VGMuseum Game Endings
Thunder Blade on CAESAR
Thunder Blade high score and replay at MARP
Thunder Blade on datObase
MAME folder name: thndrbld
Display: raster 320x224 @ 59.64Hz (59.64 pixclock)
Sound: 2 channels
Emulated in MAME via driver segaxbd.c:
Status: good; Emulation: good
Graphic: good; Sound: good; Color: good
Palette size: 24576; Savestate: unsupported
317-0056.key with 8192kb
epr-11306.ic57 with 131072kb
epr-11307.ic62 with 131072kb
epr-11310.ic21 with 131072kb
epr-11311.ic30 with 131072kb
epr-11313.ic29 with 65536kb
epr-11314.ic154 with 65536kb
epr-11315.ic153 with 65536kb
epr-11316.ic152 with 65536kb
epr-11317.ic11 with 131072kb
epr-11318.ic12 with 131072kb
epr-11319.ic13 with 131072kb
epr-11320.ic102 with 131072kb
epr-11321.ic98 with 131072kb
epr-11322.ic94 with 131072kb
epr-11323.ic90 with 131072kb
epr-11324.ic103 with 131072kb
epr-11325.ic99 with 131072kb
epr-11326.ic95 with 131072kb
epr-11327.ic91 with 131072kb
epr-11328.ic104 with 131072kb
epr-11329.ic100 with 131072kb
epr-11330.ic96 with 131072kb
epr-11331.ic92 with 131072kb
epr-11390.ic20 with 131072kb
epr-11391.ic29 with 131072kb
epr-11392.ic105 with 131072kb
epr-11393.ic101 with 131072kb
epr-11394.ic97 with 131072kb
epr-11395.ic93 with 131072kb
epr-11396.ic17 with 65536kb
epr-11405.ic58 with 131072kb
epr-11406.ic63 with 131072kb
- 0.147u2: hap fixed clone Omega Fighter Special. The game fails to boot or finish post. After showing bad rom errors, the game resets.
- 0.147u1: Fixed maincpu rom loading.
- 0.122u7: Fixed gfx1/2/3/4/5 rom loading.
- 0.89u3: Changed Z80 CPU2 clock speed to 5MHz.
- 0.37b10: Yochizo added 'Omega Fighter' (UPL 1989) and clone Omega Fighter Special.
- 21st November 2000: Yochizo fixed some graphics bugs in the Omega Fighter / Atomic Robo-kid driver.
- 8th November 2000: Yochizo sent in a driver for Omega Fighter and Atomic Robo-kid.
- 25th April 1999: Dumped Omega Fighter Special.
LEVELS: 8 (restarts once)
* FB Alpha
Recommended Games (Star Force):
Night Star (DECO Cassette)
Alpha Mission / ASO
Alpha Mission II / ASO II
Astro Warrior (Mega-Tech)
Truxton / Tatsujin
Tatsujin (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh
GunHed (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
The Next Space
Super Star Soldier (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
Strike Gunner S.T.G
Final Star Force
Viper Phase 1
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Romset: 2016 kb / 8 files / 457.8 zip
Credits Mameinfo and Mametesters Project Robert J. Rabgno et al.
Thunder Blade (c) 1987 Sega.
Taking control of a heavily-armed battle chopper, the player must battle through a variety of both overhead and 'into-the-screen' 3-D stages.
Each stage is packed with a mixture of enemy choppers, planes, tanks, boats and static gun emplacements, all intent on bringing Thunder Blade crashing to the ground.
The player's 'copter is armed with 2 different weapons; a rapid-fire machine gun and air-to-ground missiles - both of which have unlimited ammunition.
The first half of every stage begins with a top-down, vertically-scrolling section, before switching to an 'After Burner-esque', into-the-screen section.
Thunder Blade consists of four stages, which are as follows :
* Stage 1 : The game begins in a skyscraper-packed city. Enemies consist of rival choppers, jets, and ground-based tanks and gun emplacements. The level ends over the sea, with the player facing a huge and heavily-armed battleship.
* Stage 2 : This stage begins with the player navigating a desert canyon, before switching to the into-the-screen view and taking the player through a number of stalactite-packed and densely populated caves. A huge ground-based tank awaits the player at the end of the stage.
* Stage 3 : This begins in a river canyon, before moving on to a rain-forest river network. As well the the usual line-up of enemies, heavily-armed boats are introduced. the end-of-level battle takes place in the skies as the player attempts to destroy a massive jet fighter.
* Stage 4 : The 4th and final stage begins with a repeat of the first stage's city level, only this time the action takes place at night. The second half of this stage takes the player deep into an industrial complex, eventually leading to an end-of-game showdown with a massive and heavily-armed gun emplacement.
- TECHNICAL -
Sega X Board hardware
Game ID: 317-0056
Main CPU : (2x) Motorola 68000 (@ 12.5 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 4 Mhz)
Sound Chips : Yamaha YM2151 (@ 4 Mhz), Sega (@ 4 Mhz)
Players : 1
Control : stick, throttle
Buttons : 2
- TRIVIA -
Released in December 1987.
Also released as "Thunder Blade [Deluxe Sit-Down model]".
Despite bringing nothing new or original to the shoot'em up genre, Thunder Blade was a huge commercial success for Sega. This was down to the superb and innovative use of their breathtaking sprite-scaling graphics technology - used to such stunning effect in "Out Run", "Super Hang-on", "After Burner", etc. The way Thunder Blade constantly switched between overhead and into-the-screen levels was smooth and flawless and helped to disguise the otherwise unremarkable game-play.
Pony Canyon released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (G.S.M. SEGA 1 - D28B0002) 07/07/1988.
- STAFF -
Music by : Koichi Namiki
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Sega Mega Drive (1988, "Super Thunder Blade")
Sega Master System (1988)
Sega Mega Drive (199?, "MegaGames 3in1 Vol 3")
* Computers :
Amstrad CPC (1988)
Atari ST (1988)
Commodore 64 (1988)
Commodore Amiga (1988)
NEC PC-Engine (1988)
Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1988)
Amstrad CPC (1989, "Coin-Op Hits")
Sharp X68000 (1990)
* Others :
Tiger LCD Handheld Game (1988) : Features 99 levels of play as you pilot your craft to battle!
- CONTRIBUTE -
Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?&page=detail&id=2885&o=2
Licensed from Alexis Bousiges under a CC Attribution 3.0 License
00000000 FF80F0 00000009 FFFFFFFF Infinite Credits
00000301 29C081 00000003 FFFFFFFF Select Starting Stage Set on displayed "STAGE x" screen
00000501 29C083 00000003 FFFFFFFF Select Starting Stage (Only Display) Set on displayed "STAGE x" screen
00000000 29C0A5 00000002 FFFFFFFF Infinite Training Time Just turn the cheat OFF when you've had enough training (To turn training ON and OFF see the DIP SWITCH menu)
00000000 29C09B 00000007 FFFFFFFF Infinite Lives
00000000 29E100 00000008 00000008 Invincibility
00010020 29E178 0000000F FFFFFFFF Invincibility (2/2)
00100000 29C0A8 00000999 FFFFFFFF Always Maximum Hits
00000000 282120 0000000B FFFFFFFF Always Fastest Speed
00000000 282120 0000002B FFFFFFFF Always Turbo Speed
00000000 282161 00000000 FFFFFFFF Rapid Fire - Cannon
Credit Pugsy's MAME Cheat file